The New Testament is translated from Greek to English and 3 words are used to represent fear. They are as follow:
Phobos – meaning flight from being scared, fear, terror, intimidation of the adversaries, something that cause fear. The word phobia came from it (Causative fear). An example is the story of Peter in the storming sea Matthew 14:22-32. Being a fisherman he was aware of the belief among the fishermen that, if you see a ghost and the sea is storming, then death is imminent. Although Jesus was with him the fear that has been created by what he heard and knew overwhelmed him and he began to sink. Thank God he was wise enough to call out to Jesus for help. The cure to this kind of fear is to reach out to Jesus Christ for help.
Deilia – spirit of fearfulness, timidity and cowardice, (base fear) – This is type of fear is resident fear. It is a nagging feeling and perception of impending doom. This kind of fear is the well described in 2 Timothy 1:7, for God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. An example is waking up first thing in the morning and feeling a sense of dread and terror. The way to deal with this is through the declaration of God’s word and meditation on the covenant of protection you have in Christ. I recommend Psalm 91.
Eulabeia – reverence and Godly fear, this type of fear is mingled with love. The fear of God is not borne out of fear of Judgment or condemnation but out of love and reverence for God. An example is story of Joseph and wife of Potiphar in Genesis 39. Joseph refused to sleep with his master’s wife because of his reverence for God. The more you develop fear for God the more you starve your tendencies to embrace the other types of fear. God rules with love Satan rules with fear. Fear borne out love is pure fear.
How to overcome Fear
- Identify the fear
- Acknowledge the source
- Know the outcome of living in fear – torment and destruction
- Confront it immediately
The following are the ways you confront fear:
- Revelation of God’s love for you – 1 John 4:18 – There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear,1 because fear has to do with torment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.
- Faith in God’s love for you – Romans 5:5 -And hope10 does not
disappoint us, because God has poured out his love11 into our hearts by the Holy Spirit,12 whom he has given us.
- Obedience to God word – Isaiah 1:19: if you are willing and obedient, you will eat the good of the land.
- Declaration of God’s word – Mark 11:23 -. You shall have what you say…
- Forgiveness – Acts 10:43- All the prophets testify about him that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name.
For Further Study:
Joshua 24:14, Joshua 22
Questions for Reflection:
- What are you fearful of?
- What type of fear are you carrying?
- What would be the outcome if you continue to nurse this fear?
I will overcome my fear with the word of God!