Tearing Down Strongholds
James. 4:7, ”Submit yourselves, therefore, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.”
Satan uses strongholds in our lives to trap us and to render us powerless in our spiritual warfare with him. But God has not left us defenceless against the Forces of darkness. There are some things we can do to overcome his oppression:
1) Identify the specific behaviour patterns that are keeping you in bondage. Ask the Holy Spirit to show you any area you are not aware of. Pray for His help to discern them.
2) Confess and repent of any sins the Holy Spirit reveals and receive God’s forgiveness (I John 1:9).
3) Study God’s Word to discover how He will direct you to overcome the devil. James. 4:7 .2 Cor. 10:3-5 says that we are to use “the weapons of our warfare” to “cast down imaginations” and “every high thing” and that we are to bring into captivity “every thought” to obey Christ. Satan’s warfare against us begins in the mind! We must use God’s supernatural, spiritual power to overcome Satan! We must use the spiritual weapon of the “sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God” (Eph. 6: 17) to “cast down imaginations”– to eliminate the wrong thoughts that Satan places in our minds! Replace Satan’s lies with God’s truth — and “bring every thought into the captivity of Christ”– (We make every thought obey Christ and His Word!) Remember, every thought we have is not from God. Guard your thoughts! If a thought contradicts God’s Word, it is not from God. Defeat Satan with the scriptures, just as Jesus did in the wilderness.
4) Choose to forgive anyone who has wronged or wounded you. Forgive yourself . . . and if you have anger toward God, release it and commit yourself to trusting Him in every area of your life.
5) Renounce any sin that has controlled you and close the door in any area where the enemy has gained entry. Eph. 4:27: (Don’t give Satan any opportunity to work).
6) Ask the Holy Spirit to help you break the behaviour and thought patterns you’ve practiced and renew your mind and replace those patterns with new, scriptural thoughts and patterns (Phil. 4:7-9)
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. (Matthew 11:28-30).
It is not enough just to destroy the old yoke, but we must take up a new one, a proper one, one that benefits us. Replace wrong strongholds with proper strongholds today, God bless you.
For further study:
Psalm 119:105, Psalm 19:14
Personal declaration for the day:
Today, I will tear down any thought of limitation that comes through my mind in Jesus name.
Questions for you to reflect on
How do you intend to pull down the strongholds in your life?