Psalm 150 – 1 Praise the LORD. Praise God in his sanctuary; praise him in his mighty heavens.2 Praise him for his acts of power; praise him for his surpassing greatness. 3 Praise him with the sounding of the trumpet, praise him with the harp and lyre, 4 praise him with tambourine and dancing, praise him with the strings and flute, 5 praise him with the clash of cymbals, praise him with resounding cymbals. 6 Let everything that has breath praise the LORD. Praise the LORD.
Psalm 69:34 – Let heaven and earth praise him, the seas and everything that move in them,
What is Praise and Worship?
The word Praise in Greek is ‘Ainos’ and ‘EPAINOS’ meaning a tale commendation, narration, it denotes approbation (approval). Worship in Greek is ‘PROSKUNEO’ PROs = towards, KUNEO = kiss. It means to make obeisance, do reverence to. It is used as act of homage or reverence. So when we worship we are giving God kisses. Praise and worship goes hand in hand. Therefore, praise and worship is the direct acknowledgement of God, of His nature, attributes, ways and claims, whether by the outgoing of the heart in praise and thanksgiving through words, or by deed done in such acknowledgement.
As I was praising God this morning, I had a vision, I saw God come into my study as I was praising Him. He took a seat and sat down and began to watch me as I sang praises to Him as an audience: what a stage performance. Then He said, to me, “That is what happens when you praise and worship me from your heart. I come, get a seat and watch you bring me the best thing: a heart full of praise and worship.” As I wrote this material my hands shook and my heart was overwhelmed by God’s presence.
So, imagine God pick a seat and sit in front of you and watch you bring the best gift to Him when you praise and worship Him with your heart. Please be aware that praise and worship is not only in the church service but even when you are going about your daily life with a heart saying I am doing this and living out my days with honor, adoration and commendation to God. When you do that you are blowing God kisses and He inhabits your praise and worship.
Why should we Praise and Worship God?
- Because he is our creator and we are the sheep of His pasture and we owe him our existence. Psalm 100, Psalm 95:7.
- Because the bible commands us to do so. Psalm 150:6
- Because it is the human nature to worship something. God created us for his glory as worshipers.
- That is the way we show appreciation to God. Psalm 103
- That is the way we fulfill our purpose and justify our existence. Life is worship.
The result of Praise and worship
- Divine Manifestation – 2Chronicles 5:11-14
- Your spirit is lifted – 2 kings 3:15
- Victory in battle – Acts 16:25-34s
- Harvest – Psalm 67:3-7
Result of lack of Praise and Worship of God
- Self-worship and worship of idols
- Depression and emptiness
- Loss of God’s presence
For Further Study:
Psalm 100, Psalm 103
Questions for you to reflect on
- What is praise and worship to you?
- What does it do to you when you praise and worship?
- How often do you Praise and worship?
Lord Jesus, I shall worship you and no other all the days of my life in Jesus name.