MULTIPLICATION: MIRACLE OF FEEDING THE MULTITUDE
I am releasing the spirit of multiplication. That is what I have in mind for you this month says the Lord. This was what the Lord spoke to my spirit and I believe if he has released it upon us, then it will remain. However for us to adequately appropriate this prophetic declaration, we need to understand how it works so that we can run with it. We are studying this month on financial victory with emphasis on how to solve financial challenges and as God’s children, our goal should be to be financially free and dependent on God. Nothing should take control of our lives but Him. There may be so many ways to multiply or increase financially, some may be legitimate or otherwise but as children of God, our way must not only be legitimate but also be by Him and through Him, having surrendered our lives to Him we must at all times subject our ways and will to His will. Our God is a God of multiplication and abundance. He desires above all things that we prosper and be in health, even as our soul prospers. 3 John 2. This is God’s own pattern of prosperity, that is, total and all encompassing, affecting every part of our being. Not just having money and being sick but having money and more than enough, having good health and total peace that matches would guarantee this pattern of multiplication and financial increase.
With this in mind, it is therefore necessary for us to understand from God how we can solve financial challenges, how we can multiply and enjoy financial freedom. Jesus Christ the son of God walked the face of this earth and went through the same challenges as we are. The scripture says in Hebrews 4:15 ‘For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin’. Yes! Jesus too had to deal with financial challenges, there were times he needed God to just show up to multiply what he had to meet his need. Yes! He went through everything we’ve been through and will go through financially and he overcame them and was financially victorious. He was never harassed or embarrassed, he was never accused or prosecuted for any financial impropriety, and he was never once shot of idea to solve any financial challenge that came his way. He lived a prosperous life and was very rich because he had access to everything he needed at every point in time. The scripture says in 2 Corinthians 8:9 ‘For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ that though he was rich, yet for your sake he became poor, so that you by His poverty might become rich’. Yes he was rich contrary to what some other school of thought. He chose to become poor so that we that believe and choose to walk in His ways might become rich. So what are His ways and how was he able to overcome financially? These are the questions we will attempt to answer in the course of our study and one of such occasions where he needed God to show up and multiply what he had to meet his need is the story of the feeding of five thousand men with five loaves of bread and two fishes as enumerated in the below scripture.
John 6:1-13. After this Jesus went away to the other side of the Sea of Galilee, which is the Sea of Tiberias. And a large crowd was following him, because they saw the signs that he was doing on the sick. Jesus went up on the mountain, and there he sat down with his disciples. Now the Passover, the feast of the Jews, was at hand. Lifting up his eyes, then, and seeing that a large crowd was coming toward him, Jesus said to Philip, “Where are we to buy bread, so that these people may eat?” He said this to test him, for he himself knew what he would do. Philip answered him, “Two hundred denarii would not buy enough bread for each of them to get a little.” One of his disciples, Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother, said to him, “There is a boy here who has five barley loaves and two fish, but what are they for so many?” Jesus said, “Have the people sit down.” Now there was much grass in the place. So the men sat down, about five thousand in number. Jesus then took the loaves, and when he had given thanks, he distributed them to those who were seated. So also the fish, as much as they wanted. And when they had eaten their fill, he told his disciples, “Gather up the leftover fragments, that nothing may be lost.” So they gathered them up and filled twelve baskets with fragments from the five barley loaves left by those who had eaten.
Feeding five thousand men with five loaves and two fishes is a miracle and it is incomprehensible. Trying to explain how he did it will be fruitless and that is why it is a miracle after all. Any time a miracle can be explained, it ceases to be a miracle. However there are principles of financial victory that we can learn from this story which if applied and followed will help us attain a level of financial dominion. These are principles that deal with multiplication. Miracles they say are the acts of God but impacts are the inputs of men. There are Godly principles that we need to imbibe that will position us for the miraculous to take place. However for want of space, I will simply enumerate these principles, bring out the salient points and elaborate on them in subsequent editions.
- His desire for multiplication was not self-centred but people centred. John 6:5. He was moved with compassion for the people. Why do you want to be rich?
- in verse 6 ‘He himself knew what to do’ he had a clear understanding of what to do when he was faced with financial challenge. Knowledge is a key that unlocks the door to financial victory.
- In verse 10: Jesus said ‘ have the people sit down’. He created ORDER. This is the proper arrangement of things. You must create order in your finances otherwise there will be chaos. Where there is no order, there cannot be multiplication.
- In verse 9, there was a boy who gave out his five loaves and two fishes. Here we see the principle of sowing a seed. The seed principle is a vital element in multiplication. One of the main characteristic of a seed is that they don’t increase by addition but only by multiplication when planted in the right soil.
- In verse 11, Jesus took the bread and gave thanks before distributing it. Here we see the principle of Thanksgiving for multiplication. What you don’t appreciate will diminish but what you appreciate will increase.
- In Matthew 14:19, another version of the above story, Matthew reported that Jesus after giving thanks and Breaking the bread, gave it first to the disciples and the disciples to the multitude. Here we see the principle of delegation. You need to learn to focus on your area of competence and allow others to do the rest. People don’t get rich doing everything but people succeed at doing and mastering one major thing.
- In verse 12 of John 6, Jesus told them after they had eaten, ‘gather all the fragments and left overs and they got twelve basket full. One of the principles in financial increase is avoid wastage. God is extravagant but not wasteful.
I will deal with these points’ elaborately in subsequent editions but in the meantime I encourage you this month to go on a journey to seek knowledge. Begin to read all the stories of Jesus with a bias for multiplication and see how God will open your eyes to see wondrous things. The word of the Lord is ‘I will multiply’!
For further study:
Personal Declaration for the day
I will be fruitful and multiply
Questions for you to reflect on:
What are the principles of divine multiplication?