BIBLE TRUTHS ABOUT SIGNS AND WONDERS
John 14:12 – Jesus said,”Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on Me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto My Father.”
Signs and wonders are otherwise called miracles. So, I will use both terms interchanging. A miracle is the occurrence of any event apparently contradictory to and unexplainable by the laws of science, and usually attributed to God.
A. Many signs and wonders occurred in the time of the Old Testament. These are some of them:
- The sun stood still at Joshua’s command. Joshua 10:12-14
- Water flowed from a rock when Moses struck it. Exodus 17:5, 7 (Psalms 78:15-16, 20)
- The Red Sea parted so that God’s people could cross. Exodus 14:22
- An iron ax floated on water 2 Kings 6:5-6
- The waters were turned to blood. Exodus 7:17
- The dead were raised to life- the Shunammite’s son 2 Kings 4:32-37; 8:1, 5
- Aaron ‘s rod blossomed- Numbers 17:1-9
- The three Hebrew children in the fiery furnace remained unharmed. Daniel 3:23-27
- The widow’s cruse of oil and barrel of meal was continually replenished during a time of famine. I Kings 17:9-16, 2 Kings 4:2-7
- Baalam’s ass spoke. Numbers 22:23-30
B. Jesus Himself performed many mighty signs and wonders among the people.
John 20:30; 21:25, Acts 4:30
The early church experienced many miracles as well. Acts 2:43;4:16; 5:12; 14:3, Romans 15:19, 2 Corinthians 12:12
However, it must be recognized that Satan can also perform lying signs and wonders. Not everything supernatural is of God. Exodus 7:9-11;8:17-19, Deuteronomy 13:1-5
God has given to every believer the power to perform the same mighty deeds as Jesus Himself did – if we have faith. Matthew 10:1, 8 Mark 16:16-18, 20 John 14:12
The Holy Spirit has provided for the gift of miracles in the church. 1 Corinthians 12:10-11, 28, 29
C. The basic element necessary to operate in this realm of ministry is faith.
D. For what reasons does God generally perform miracles in our midst?
- Miracles serve as a confirmation of a person’s ministry or message.
- Signs or wonders served as an evidence of the one true God.
- God performs miracles to meet the needs of His people. Exodus 14:22
- No matter who God uses to bring about a miracle or healing, it is God who is to get the glory for it.
- Miracles cause people to recognize who Jesus Christ really is: the Messiah, the Son of God.
- Miracles often they arouse great awe in man for God.
- Some would not believe except they saw a sign. John 4:48; 6:30.
- Some seek a sign with the wrong motive: that of tempting God. But we are not to seek a Scripture says that the signs are to follow us (Mark 16:17), not we the signs. Our faith should be in God and not the miracles.
- Some will be sceptical about miracles Exodus 7:12, Matthew 11:20-21
For further Study
Mark 6:5-6; 11:22-24, Hebrews 11, Daniel 6:23
Personal declaration for the day
I focus on and worship God and not signs and wonders.
Questions for you to reflect on
- Are signs and wonder for us today?
- Are we to live for signs and wonders or live for God